Jennifer Shu MD is a pediatrician who works at an academic medical center, where she was director of the normal newborn nursery. She is a medical expert for CNN.com (Nancy Grace Show, Headline News), NBC Nightly News, MSNBC, the Discovery Health Channel, US News and World Report, USA Today, US Weekly, local and national television, newspapers and radio shows, and multiple parenting magazines and websites. She writes for WebMD and is quoted frequently in parenting magazines, newspapers and Internet articles. She is also a regular host on ReachMD, the Channel for Medical Professionals, on XM satellite radio.
She is a co-author of the award-winning parenting books “Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality” and “Food Fights” and her consulting experience includes:
• Technical reviewer for juvenile product manufacturer
• Script reviewer for educational video production company
• Pediatrician consultant for National Institutes of Health grant to teach nutrition science to elementary school students
• Media spokesperson for pharmaceutical product launch
• Panel expert for toilet training product manufacturer
• Editorial reviewer for web and print-based parenting materials
• Advisory board member for a food industry nutrition council
• Leadership roles in professional medical organizations
Dr. Shu does PSAs (public service announcements) for the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) and is the editor of their consumer parenting website. She is now also working hard on a parenting tracking app that hopefully will take over the market.
In today’s episode I talk to her about her experiences in the medical system and whether she would change how her career transpired. We talk about different medical conferences that have helped her as well as the media training that has made her the expert she is. She explains what to do to get ready, how to get trained and how to get gigs. As a mom and a doctor, I talk to her about those challenges as well. This is a really nice conversation that may give you the motivation and tips to becoming the medical expert for TV and radio.
Take a listen and please leave some feedback.
Or on iTunes HERE. Remember, you can always search Authentic Medicine Podcast on iTunes or just subscribe and it will come up whenever a new one is published.