What happens when you have a society that was trained to believe that when you have health insurance that everything is covered? Chaos.
Duke University Health System is fielding 1,500 patient calls a day, most of them asking why they got a bill since they’re insured.
Really? Duke has “also seen patient interest-free payment plans rise from $19 million in June 2010 to $43 million in January.”
So, this is an issue. The ONLY way to get costs down is to have people know the prices for things and then shop around. I believe insurance should be catastrophic ONLY but that does not mean these high deductibles should be so high. That is a scam run by the insurance companies. They kept raising the monthly rates and then made it seem like you are getting a deal if you pick the lower monthly rate options.
- We do need our population to understand and embrace catastrophic plans.
- We need our our population to know that each medical interaction will cost them personally so they shop around and bring the prices down.
- We need to expose the absolute greed of the insurance companies who raised BOTH the monthly premium rates and the deductible amount because they can.
- The monthly premium and deductible amount need to come down to where they were before Obamacare, if not more.
- And yes, there is subset of our population who need subsidies (Medicaid option, etc) but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t pay something and have a little skin in the game.