Med Schools Want To Play House

Here is another funny one.   Medical schools also want to be part of the  medical home world.  They plan to “teach teamwork , quality improvement and community-based care to prepare students for practicing in a patient-centered medical home.”  Let’s all just jump on the politically correct parade, shall we?   Hey, if it gets more medical students into becoming family docs/ regular internists then great but I’m not buying it.  I still believe even though more teamwork is needed, someone needs to be in charge.   Since we are the ones getting sued it should be us.  The quality improvement fad is unproven and horeshit.  And community-based care is another term for being a family doc.   That is what we do and always have done.   So read the article in the American Medical News and see how our medical schools are changing the way these students are learning.   And I predict you just may see a bump of students going into primary care….from 2% to about3%.   Hey, statistically that is a 50% improvement!

6 comments for “Med Schools Want To Play House

1. big picture doc
    July 4, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Newer smarter physicians are learning from us older dumber ones. Why on earth would they want to sign up for a job where they have all of the responsibility but none of the power?

2. steve
    July 4, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Amen, Brother!

3. THEODORE BACHARACH
    July 3, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Physicians will continue to avoid family practice until the compensation makes it a little more attractive. Money is vital component for inducing physicians as well as anyone else to do something.

July 3, 2012 at 7:56 am

I predict this garbage won’t even show a 1% bump. And for all the quaint expressions of a physician using his own judgement, “quality improvement” always means meeting someone else’s, often arbitrary standard, not one’s own.

• Kurt Savegnago
      July 5, 2012 at 10:03 am

Hey folks, After they kick all the IM and FP’s out of the hospital and confine them/us to our offices you have nothing left. Might as well just employ NP’s. Folks, the NP’s are going to inherit the earth. Will just take a sroke of a legislator’s pen so they can prescribe narcs and ADHD drugs. Many can do well but it takes a Doc to pin down the diagnosis sometimes. I do not encourage any medical students to go into primary care anymore. The amount of uncompensateable work has just exploded. Best to get into a specialty so one can say, “Go see your usual Doc for that!” I’ve dictated “clean” records since day one and this scroll/click B.S. takes more time than paging a well organized chart ever did. Some archiving protocols for radiology just list an X-ray as “radiological report” COMPLETELY destroying the purpose of saving reports on a computer so to be searchable in a short period of time later. One has to open each item to see what it is! When the AAFP says that 43% of 1st year entering residents are foreign trained that speaks of the progressive demise of this archaic specialty. Heck, if I was foreign born/trained, I’d go for it just to get into this great ‘ol U.S of A.! Even Dr. Doug has vacated to an E.R. and I can rightfully say I don’t blame him! But then again, he could have saved himself the trouble and just gone through an ER residency instead of wasting the time he did.

• Pat
        July 7, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Kurt I trained as an FP, thought it a gret idea, drank the Kool-aid. In 2004 I had my picture made flinging my beeper into the ocean, went full-time ER and never looked back. If I had it to do over, I’d be ER from the start. To hell with primary care.