Handicapped Tour Guides

wdw

Here is a story in the NY Post claiming that wealthy Manhattan moms are hiring handicapped tour guides to bypass the lines at Walt Disney World.   I can understand the outrage but let’s look at it from another angle.  It gets a real nice payday for real handicapped people.  Besides. there are so many questionable handicapped people at WDW that the lines of what really is defined as “handicapped” have been blurred anyway.   My family and I vacation there quite often and have been there when it is mostly European visitors (because American kids are in school) and the difference is amazing.  The amount of obesity is minimal and there are a lot less motorized carts getting ahead of the lines.  Being there during a regular American spring break is whole other animal.  So this story about wealthy Manhattan moms may make your skin crawl but seeing a slice of Americana on a crowded Walt Disney World Trip when it is our grossly overweight or obese citizens may make you just as sick.

6 comments for “Handicapped Tour Guides

1. Annette
    May 29, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Sorry I sickened you with my physical appearance. Never mind the years of training I’ve had as a physician. Never mind all the people I have helped. Maybe I should just kill myself…

May 29, 2013 at 1:02 pm

What actually is your point?

• Annette
        May 30, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Society doesn’t value people with obvious flaws, and your disgust of fat people is a glaring example.

Did you consider walking around Disney is enjoyable exercise, helping the fat people who do try to lose weight? No. They just made your skin crawl.

You have just gotten too damn cynical.

May 30, 2013 at 12:45 pm

There is an epidemic of obesity in this country which is directly related to their health and the costs of healthcare. You as a physician should understand that. Saying they are making the trip to Disney to walk and lose weight is a long shot, especially when they are in motorized carts. There are forty year olds who are so out of shape they can’t even walk anymore! And I can’t criticize that?. So, if that is cynical then yeah, I am. I am disgusted in this ongoing trend. Can you extrapolate that to saying I hate fat people? No. Now, if you want to play the anti-obesity card to zing me then go ahead. I don’t give a crap. You may want to look inside, however, and see how your issues are tainting the ways you treat patients. Studies back that up. Or, you could just go away and not read this website anymore. Again, I don’t give a crap.

• Annette
            May 30, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I liked following your blog because it was clear you gave a crap. You made me laugh at the absurdities of medicine. You were doing something other than spewing hateful things. I’m not throwing the anti-obesity card at you, I’m trying to call you on condemning the person instead of the problem.

I don’t care if you are anti-fat. I’m not happy about it myself. I hate those stupid motorized carts as well! Does it interfere with my talking to patients about weight? Absolutely! I practice where it isn’t such an issue, and I take pains to talk about improving diet and exercise when it should come up.

I knew I shouldn’t have commented, but I did it in a moment of weakness, and not very clearly. Judging by your response, maybe I hit a nerve with you as well.

May 30, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I care about medicine. This blog is a selection of items that I find amusing, disturbing, controversially, etc. In that sense, it looks like I am a cynical son-of-a-bitch because that is all you see or read of me. I am not that way all the time but I am sometimes throw out serious barbs which some people may take as hateful things. If you read that piece you will see that I hate those moms who use handicapped tour guides. As an aside, I stated that I am bothered by the obesity epidemic in America (I compared it to the Europeans). I did not say I hate fat people. You just read it that and decided to attack back.

I write this blog every day and get NOTHING for it. It is a way to vent. It is my therapy. It also is the only website by an MD to call out the idiots who are now in charge. If you agree or like more than half of what I do then great. I can’t make everyone happy (see NPs).