RIP Dr. Ted Bacharach MD (retired)

tb

For many, many years I have been publishing the wise words of Dr. Ted Bacharach.  He first found me through the Placebo Journal and then I met him in California when I did a presentation for his medical group.  What a great guy.  His writings defined Authentic Medicine and no matter how simple or long they would be, I would always include them here.  In fact, he wrote an entry only a month before he died, at the age of 90.

According to his obituary, “He lived life to the fullest, loving every minute. He was born in Frankfurt, Germany to Max and Sophie Bacharach. His early education was in Switzerland and New York. He graduated from Syracuse Medical School, in 1946. He retired from the military as a Lt. Colonel after more than 20 years of service. He married his college sweetheart Janet in December of 1944. He and his family traveled the world while in the military, always enjoying new places and experiences.” He practiced medicine until he was 84!

I found out about his death just recently from his daughter.  She wrote, “My Dad, Dr. Theodore Bacharach, loved reading and submitting articles for Authentic Medicine.  You gave him a forum for doing something he loved – writing and sharing his views of medicine.  He passed away July 10.  Thank you for sharing his thoughts with your readers.”

I am saddened by this news.  I appreciated his thoughts so much.  It helped keep me, and many of my readers, grounded.  You will be missed, Dr. Ted.

If you want to leave some kind words, and I wish you would, for his family to read then just do so below.  I will forward them along.

Here is a list of some of Dr. Bacharach’s writings.  From my old blogger site, here is a search result with his entries:

From my present website:

10 comments for “RIP Dr. Ted Bacharach MD (retired)

1. MJ Holman
    August 22, 2013 at 10:22 am

I truly enjoyed reading Dr. Bacharach’s writings. He will be missed. Condolences to the family.

2. Geri Lennon
    August 21, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I learned of Dr. B’s passing form his dear fr4iend Di Stevenson. I am more than saddened, and beyond words. He was a true gentlman, sweetheart of a person, gifted healer and medical wiseman.
    Beyond that, he was a one true friend. I shall miss him dearly. Be blessed, Dr. B. Be blessed.

3. Andrea Trescot
    August 21, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I, too, really enjoyed Dr. Bacharach’s writing. His insight was refreshing and honest and delightful.

4. August 21, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Dr. Theodore Bacharach wielded a Mighty Pen, always helping me keep my feet on the ground with his words of wisdom gained from his decades providing high-quality health care service to patients, and his wise words about life itself. One of my favorite quotations of his is:

“Be careful what you wish for, it may not look or feel like what you expected.”

Thank you, Dr. Bacharach, for writing so well such profound essays (e.g., Changes [in med practice over past 40 yrs] in the 06-21-2011 issue of Placebo Journal.

5. Jeff Mack, MD
    August 21, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I am saddened to hear that Dr Bacharach passed away. His blogs were always down to Earth and interesting. Thank you, Doug, for publishing them. Rest In Peace, Doc.

6. August 21, 2013 at 10:55 am

Goodbye to Dr. Ted Bacharach who will be missed and mourned. My condolences to the family and to his readers.

7. Nancy Lewis
    August 14, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I am so sorry to hear that Dr. Bacharach has passed away. I hope his passing was peaceful. I always enjoyed his posts. His words were always thoughtful and and his true compassion showed through. He never forgot that heal and care were the really important parts of health care. He was not afraid to shake the bureaucratic bushes. I will miss his wise words. My heart goes out to his family.

August 14, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Dr. Bacharach’s posts were always pertinent and thoughtful. It is evident in both his writing and bio that his was the sort of standard to which we should aspire. His counsel will be missed.

9. Sarah goodman
    August 14, 2013 at 11:38 am

I am sorry to hear this. I really enjoyed reading his posts. His posts were always great for me to help gain some perspective and remind me why I went into family medicine in the first place. My condolences to his family

10. Kathy Wire
    August 14, 2013 at 10:57 am

Like almost all the material in the Journal, the Gazette and Authentic Medicine, his work was interesting and provocative. I will miss his stuff and send condolences to his family.