Healthcare Exchange Down Day One

logo

I am sincerely NOT trying to make this political.  In fact, as an independent contractor, I have to buy health insurance for my whole family.  I need this new system to work.  Unfortunately, on day one, the healthcare.gov site was down.  ON DAY ONE!  DOWN ALL DAY! Once again, I am not trying to make a political statement here.  I don’t believe in the former insurance model nor do I believe in socialized medicine so I am impartial at this point.  I am just saying that how can a company or agency be so poorly run that we could not get on the site on day one?   I mentioned this on FB and got all these excuses thrown at me.  They were overwhelmed.  There are hackers trying to make the system look bad.  Waaa, waaa, waaa.  Bullshit.  Stop crying.    These idiots had years to get this thing set up and they failed in hour one and never came back all day.   This is not a death penalty because the government has endless money (ours) and we have no other option.  That being said, a private company would be out of business if this happened to them.

The Republicans didn’t need to shut this thing down.  It shut itself down!

8 comments for “Healthcare Exchange Down Day One

1. Howard Feder
    October 3, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Are you in a red state or a blue state ? The overwhelming response is something that makes me think of conspiracies. Wow! Give it a chance to get past the opposition

October 2, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Any word yet on where all the new doctors are to treat all these new millions, once they get on-line?

3. David Grant
    October 2, 2013 at 8:11 pm

On the first day the California system got 10 million hits and the one in New York got 5 million. They only expected about 7 million people to end up enrolling in the whole country, yet they got twice as many hits in just two states in one day. They expected “heavy” interest but this was humongous.
    And on the second day the New York system got 20 million hits, in a state with about 2.7 million uninsured. They seriously wonder if some robot computers are flooding New York’s web site.
    With the Ticketmaster analogy, the “concert” doesn’t start until January 1, 2014, and there’s no rush for front row seats. There’s time to fix the problems.

October 2, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I hope. I am on day two and still can’t get on.

4. Andy
    October 2, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I agree with Lawrence. Ticketmaster goes down momentarily every time a big concert goes on sale, and we should expect technical difficulties considering there are more people in need of health insurance than there are beliebers.

5. DrHockey
    October 2, 2013 at 10:26 am

Did the government “shutdown” affect the ability to respond to the large volume of traffic for the website and any problem that may have arisen?

October 2, 2013 at 11:04 am

Supposedly it was to be unaffected

6. Lawrence Kutner
    October 2, 2013 at 9:28 am

Stating that the system was overwhelmed with demand is not whining. It’s a statement of observable fact.

If you or I were to open a clinic and were greeted at 8:00 AM on that first morning with dozens of patients instead of the predicted half-dozen or so, would we characterize our clinic as a failure? I doubt it. We would recognize that we had underestimated the demand and try to staff up.

The number of applicants on day one was an empirical question (a Type I vs. Type II error problem) that’s now been answered. If they had overstaffed and had additional servers available on that first day, they would have been criticized for wasting money.

No matter what one might feel about Obamacare, there is clearly pent-up demand for affordable health insurance among people who currently are not covered.