MOC by Steven Mussey MD

final-0253

Editor’s Note: As I prepare for my THIRD board exam in 20 years, I couldn’t agree more.

6 comments for “MOC by Steven Mussey MD

1. Kurt
    April 11, 2014 at 2:27 pm

ABFM = Academic Bastards and F**k**g Morons

AAFP = Academic Assholes and F**k**g Pricks

2. David Lubin, MD
    April 10, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I made it through 37 years of family practice, just retired, never took boards, never boarded, made out ok. Docs need to get balls, or brass ovaries, and just all say “We’re not going to take the MOC tests, so pack them up and give them to the needy.” They really don’t prove competency at all.

3. Frank J. Rubino MD
    April 9, 2014 at 9:40 am

I’ve been extorted 6 times in the past 39 years of practice! I hate to think of how many 10’s of thouysands of dollars I spent on Board Review Courses, travel costs, hotels etc , etc.

• Bob D'Agostino, MD
      April 9, 2014 at 10:37 pm

I’ve only done it 5 times in 34 years, but finally reached the “end zone”. I’m now “board eligible”

4. Sir-Lance-a-Lot
    April 4, 2014 at 10:28 am

Oh, man, you’ve hit a nerve there.

As much as it galls me to know that a portion of my paycheck every two weeks is going into the pockets and mouth of that 18 year old single girl who just got pregnant again because her Medicaid is running out on the previous baby, the fact that I have to send actual cash money to support the fat salaries of a bunch of academic fatheads whose ONLY job is to sit and figure out how to make my life harder and harder every few years simply infuriates me.

I had once thought that medicine was a self-governing field, but now I know better, and you’re absolutely right: It’s a protection racket, pure and simple, and I have to pay to make the criminals stronger, so that they can bully me more.

April 4, 2014 at 9:32 am

There is of course a major difference: mobsters don’t pretend that they are working for the greater good, or claim any moral superiority while stealing from you. In that respect, mobsters are far more honest than MOC’rs.