The New Czar Is Here!

rk

Why do we even use the term “czar” anymore?  It means having great power or authority and it gets thrown politically around all the time.  By the way, I can’t remember any “czar”‘ figure appointed by the government that ever did anything or was successful.  Drug czar? Oil czar?  Housing czar?  Now President Obama has appointed a professional politician as the Ebola Czar. Here from the NY Times:

Mr. (Ron) Klain, a former chief of staff for Vice Presidents Al Gore and Joseph R. Biden Jr., is known for his ability to handle high-stakes and fast-moving political challenges.

Mr. Klain is uniquely positioned to help Mr. Obama counter such questions and rein in a story that has sometimes seemed to spiral out of the White House’s control, said one Democratic operative.

“He’ll control the message better than most people would, which is really important from an economic standpoint, from a health standpoint, but it’s also important from a political perspective,” the operative said, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

Political perspective?  Is this about votes or lives?  I am disgusted.   Let’s not forget that Mr. Klain has NO MEDICAL BACKGROUND.  Am I missing something here?

10 comments for “The New Czar Is Here!

1. October 23, 2014 at 11:25 am

Doug; you are only missing the obvious. In these times, all one is to be is politically correct and not harm any sections rightful stance on any aspect. I must also note that I am in full agreement with Pat’s comments on October 18. This entire administration is either incompetent to a LEGENDARY degree on MULTIPLE fronts, or there is a well-designed and currently-being-executed-before-our-unbelieving-eyes, deliberate plan to break the back of this great nation. Can anyone else feel the water getting hotter as we frogs continue to sit in the pot?

2. Stella Fitzgibbons MD
    October 22, 2014 at 9:28 am

And meanwhile the Senate Republicans hold up a QUALIFIED candidate for Surgeon General because he said guns are a public health problem–probably the understatement of the century–an the NRA didn’t like that.

October 22, 2014 at 10:33 am

I won’t get into the gun thing and I am not a gun owner BUT… like a Surgeon General does anything? I didn’t even know we didn’t have one. Stella, we are aligned in many ways but I don’t buy into it’s the Republicans or it’s the Democrats fault. Here is a nice propaganda video put out by the Democrats trying to blame Ebola on them.

• private doc
      October 24, 2014 at 6:45 am

Sorry but if he is stressing gun control then he absolutely is NOT qualified because he would be a political hack just like this guy.

3. Ken D.
    October 22, 2014 at 9:00 am

Lack of expertise in a field has never stopped President Obama from making an appointment of a totally unqualified person for a position. Hopefully a future Congress will put a stop to this by requiring all czar appointments be vetted by the Senate and write specific rules detailing the education and experience needed for all of them. Ron Klain sounds like he can’t even be bothered to shop up at briefings, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he is collecting a government paycheck from day one. Voters should remember this incompetence both in Nov. 2014 and especially Nov. 2016.

October 18, 2014 at 9:59 am

These recent cases in the U.S. can only have been the result of legendary incompetence beyond anything we’ve ever seen…or they are deliberate.

And now the White House wants to send combat troops into an infectious disease hot zone. Again, the magnitude of incompetence that such a move suggests is beyond normal comprehension, leaving only a much more sinister alternative explanation.

5. October 18, 2014 at 8:17 am

I want to be a Czar. Czar of what, I dont care

6. Sir Lance-a-lot
    October 18, 2014 at 6:53 am

Of course this is a political problem, and not a medical problem, Doug.

I mean, Duh.

These are politicians, and all they know is politics. To a hammer, everything is a nail, so of course, fighting a medical problem with politics will take care of it, right?

On the other hand, if this clown is in fact a czar, with unlimited dictatorial powers, I suggest that he send his emissaries up to Strong, Maine (not far from your old abode, Doug) and kick him some backwoods ass before these things start to get out of hand: http://www.pressherald.com/2014/10/17/fearing-ebola-strong-elementary-teacher-on-leave-after-traveling-to-dallas/

October 18, 2014 at 8:02 am

So anyone from Dallas, been to Dallas or can spell Dalas needs quarantine and free pay?

• Sir Lance-a-lot
        October 18, 2014 at 8:42 am

Looks that way.

I’m getting on a plane tomorrow – when I come back, I’ll threaten the Administration that I’ll leak the fact that I walked past Dallas Presby to the local press unless I get a paid vacation, too.

I hear there are some empty staterooms on a cruise ship down in the Caribbean for the next few weeks…