On Sick, Two Sick, Three Sick, Flu Sick

flu

Recently, the CDC announced that the strain of influenza virus chosen as the basis of this year’s vaccine does not match the common strains of flu virus now circulating.  In other words, the makers of the flu shot “guessed wrong” in their selection of the virus to base the shot on.   To poor salt on the wound, they are predicting this to be a really bad flu season. Okay, I am not a lab guy so I am not going to be critical of how they account for which strains to put in the vaccine.  And I guess some major mutation has occurred in the virus as well.  My issue is that the government is still pushing hard for people to get the flu shot.  Why? Do  they think some protection is better than none?  That makes all the sense of a mesh condom.

Douglas Farrago MD

Douglas Farrago MD is a full-time practicing family doc in Forest, Va. He started Forest Direct Primary Care where he takes no insurance and bills patients a monthly fee. He is board certified in the specialty of Family Practice. He is the inventor of a product called the Knee Saver which is currently in the Baseball Hall of Fame. The Knee Saver and its knock-offs are worn by many major league baseball catchers. He is also the inventor of the CryoHelmet used by athletes for head injuries as well as migraine sufferers. Dr. Farrago is the author of four books, two of which are the top two most popular DPC books. From 2001 – 2011, Dr. Farrago was the editor and creator of the Placebo Journal which ran for 10 full years. Described as the Mad Magazine for doctors, he and the Placebo Journal were featured in the Washington Post, US News and World Report, the AP, and the NY Times. Dr. Farrago is also the editor of the blog Authentic Medicine which was born out of concern about where the direction of healthcare is heading and the belief that the wrong people are in charge. This blog has been going daily for more than 15 years Article about Dr. Farrago in Doximity Email Dr. Farrago – [email protected] 

  5 comments for “On Sick, Two Sick, Three Sick, Flu Sick

  1. Roy
    December 11, 2014 at 9:45 am

    Wow Doug.

    A mesh condom offers no benefits, and (I would guess) would actually be somewhat uncomfortable.

    This year’s flu vaccine, to over-simplify, won’t be very good. But it will still help many people. 40% or even 20% fewer cases of flu has a huge public health impact, and the protection from the vaccine will work best if as many people as possible get it. Surely you know this?

    Don’t get caught up in the anti-vax conspiracy stuff, OK?

    • Doug Farrago
      December 11, 2014 at 11:35 am

      I am not an anti-vaccine guy. This is just a shitty product and I am being critical of it. How else can we make things better? And by the way, I bet a mesh condom would be as effective as this flu vaccine.

  2. politovski
    December 7, 2014 at 10:58 pm

    wow, i thought this was authentic medicine, not anti-vaccine-conspiracy-goofball-central. lets not spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt any more. vaccines ARE authentic medicine (ie Jonas Salk), and anti-vaccine-FUD is most certainly not…

  3. December 7, 2014 at 9:02 am

    Yes, some protection is better than none.

    http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/cdcflu.asp

  4. RJV
    December 7, 2014 at 8:22 am

    Technically they were 1/2 right and 1/2 wrong. There are two strains of H3N2 circulating, and one strain is covered and the other isn’t. 49% of the flu cases so far have been the one in the vaccine and the other 51% aren’t the strain in the vaccine, so it is still advisable to get the flu vaccine.

Comments are closed.