DPC Doing Too Well

dx

The Midwest’s first Direct Primary Care (DPC) Summit just recently occurred and it surprised the “event organizers by racking up 317 attendees hailing from 45 states. Organizers knew they’d break even with 200 attendees, but a week ahead of the event, registration soared past 300 and suddenly, the three-day meeting was sold out.”  On one hand it is great to see the interest in the kind of practice I am doing.  On the other hand it kills me that the AAFP is making money off this.  The linked article is pretty good and it seems that this concept excites everyone……except the AAFP.  Remember, they can condone this only so much but they really can’t push it.  It goes against everything they believe in, which is sucking at the teat of bureaucracy.   It must kill the big wigs at the AAFP when they see the interest.  Direct primary care docs are leaving their metrics, leaving their RVUs, leaving their ICD-10s, leaving their 99213s, leaving their ACOs, leaving their extenders and faux team approach and leaving the AAFP.  No, the AAFP can’t have this.  Prepare for them to knock us down with some propaganda.  That’s the bad news.  The good news is that the AAFP is bunch of cowards and it will be a toy cap gun versus a cannon.

6 comments for “DPC Doing Too Well

1. Lisa
    July 21, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Thanks for your reply, Doug.

I absolutely agree with the position being taken & will simply know I need to broaden my efforts to find info I can easily share professionally (with many with are uninformed, discontent yet afraid to change!) while still staying connected to Authentic Medicine as another new key source of info for me…..bottom
    line, I do applaude the sentiments expressed and am forewarned!

2. July 21, 2015 at 8:41 am

I am a huge fan of the DPC model and have recently signed on with a physician in Maine who is starting her practice this way. I have been doing all I can to spread the word about this valuable option to opt out of our highly dysfunctional health care system.

I read this piece yesterday & decided to take the time to write in today for a little feedback.

Due to the choice of language in the last line,I be unable to share this via social media. I will also be a bit wary as I continue to reference sites, FB sources, etc for others to familiarize themselves with the DPC model.

I am not a prude and would not be the least bit offended in casual conversation but would never dream of using this language and derogatory framework as part of a professional piece written to educate & inform. Perhaps it was meant to be shared only with peers – nonetheless, not a great reflection on the DPC ‘movement’ as a whole.

July 21, 2015 at 11:53 am

I agree with you Lisa. 100%. This is not really a DPC site. I should have used the word “cowards” so I will change it – this time. That being said, this is a hard hitting site against the idiots in charge of the healthcare system and you will find many more offensive comments in the future. Sorry, this site has been doing this for 12 years and we ARE NOT politically correct.

• July 21, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Thanks for your reply, Doug.

Now I am forewarned and will willingly continue to follow and enjoy the candid & critical information on your site —

I will also broaden my efforts to find info to share with the many, many people I know (professionally & personally) who are unhappy, uninformed (& afraid to question ?!) the toxic mainstream medical system.

July 21, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Glad you are sticking with us!

• Kurt
      July 22, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Ummm, I like Doug’s language just fine. I am too close to the end of career to consider a change but am rooting for those that do. Kurt