What has the AAFP done to protect doctors and patients against narrow networking by insurance companies?  Watch and see.

9 comments for “Medical Axis of Evil Report #2: Insurance Companies Takings Patients Away from Their Doctors

1. politovski
    February 11, 2016 at 12:35 am

Good for you. I did likewise in 2008. They even called and emailed me. I replied that I refused to pay into an organization that supported an expensive and pointless boarding process. Now we have seen what a corrupt fiasco that is. I refuse to join, as I can keep track of my own cme (which was the only discernible benefit I could tease out), and they continue to send me their journal, even though I cancelled it. $600/year saved.

2. Kurt
    February 10, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Ummmm,
    I hope this was forwarded to the AAFP. Doug, how much does the head of this group get paid?
    Kurt

February 10, 2016 at 8:16 pm

No idea.

3. Perry
    February 8, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Here’s the AAFP still touting PCMH, despite the fact that Medicare doesn’t support it or primary care in the least.

• rswatkins
      February 8, 2016 at 3:24 pm

The chair of PCPCC is Doug Henley, who is also CEO of the AAFP. Check out PCPCC’s board and executive members

A nice rogue’s gallery of the corporations that are destroying primary care. Those are Dr. Henley’s constituents, and it is their interests that he represents.

Sickening.

4. February 8, 2016 at 1:30 pm

PPO networks (even broad ones) are little more than glorified yellow pages with many “in network” folks that deliver a poor value prop. I like an open, transparent network that achieves the Quadruple Aim — https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/health-rosetta-transparent-medical-network-dave-chase

5. rswatkins
    February 8, 2016 at 10:52 am

AAFP: terminally stupid or totally corrupt? Discuss.

Good post. Only disagreement is that you can’t really blame narrow networks on Obamacare – that’s something the insurers came up with on their own.

• Perry
      February 8, 2016 at 11:11 am

The AMA ,ACP, AAFP all allowed themselves to be sucked into the ACA. Now they have to backtrack and say “Oh, we didn’t know this would happen”. Too late now folks.

6. Hawgguy
    February 8, 2016 at 10:32 am

What took you so long? I did that 5 years ago even though membership in the AAFP and AMA costs me nothing (my employer will pay if I desire).