Excuse Me While I Go Drain My Food

asp

File this in the WTF column but the FDA has approved a device called AspireAssist which “consists of a thin tube implanted in the stomach, connecting to an outside port on the skin of the belly.” Patients “connect the port to an external device, which drains some of the recently-consumed food into the toilet.”  You know, I thought his was a prank or someone trying to go a Placebo Journal bit but no.   This actually a real version to purge yourself but instead of vomiting there is a food drain spout.  I am too flabbergasted to comment anything at this time.  What do you think?

12 comments for “Excuse Me While I Go Drain My Food

1. gil templeton
    June 22, 2016 at 11:48 pm

I still think it has to be a joke. Worse than the Roman vomitoriums. FDA credibility continues to deteriorate.

2. Dave Mittman. pa
    June 19, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Great way to purge calories that’s not in the DMS.
    We will all have to pay. But it’s ok as if you don’t lose that #60 the hip and knee replacements will cost more as well as the hypertension and diabetes.
    Dave

3. Ben Van Raalte
    June 19, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Another explosion of cost. Not to mention the ER visits for clogged tubes.

The FDA banned silicone implants but approved this? All you have to do instead is eat less, or chew and spit. Someone was paid off. Or how many gastroenterologists are on the FDA committee.

First it will be for the morbidly obese. With the rationale they will cost us more
    if we don’t and it’s cheaper than a bypass. Then the moderately obese will demand. All of us have seen the 200 pound 5 foot 2 inch bypass.

DIET AND EXERCISE
    STOP SHOVING FOOD IN.
    But doctors will be blamed for the high health costs.

• Dr Dave
      June 19, 2016 at 8:36 pm

I really hate it when we professionals start to talk about conspiracy theories and the like. It is so demeaning and simply untrue that even the discussion lowers us to the likes of the folks who still think that 911 was an inside job and that no plane ever hit the Pentagon. This is purely an FDA doing its job to either accept or reject a product that meets up to the criteria established for safety and efficacy. Just because we can’t figure out why anyone would want to insert or have one inserted doesn’t mean that somewhere someone isn’t in the know as to why a million dollars was sent to create and approve this gadget.
      Yes I think we all agree it is super silly but surely not approved because Gastros were on the committee or that someone paid off an otherwise honest board member of the surgical device committee of the FDA
      Dr D

4. Bill Ameen
    June 19, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Are the people who ask for this the same irresponsible people who refuse to get a colonoscopy because they might have to have a colostomy?

5. Perry
    June 19, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Hmm, I have one of those. It drains out my arse.

6. Dr Dave
    June 19, 2016 at 1:29 pm

I guess like you Doug I fail to see the reason why and more importantly the average fee to get a full FDA approval assuming no other devise is existing which would allow a piggy-back on their approval is in excess of a million dollars with the testing and trials. Why would anyone invest that much money and time for this crazy device?
    I guess not only is the inventor seeing something we are not but the FDA is likewise seeing something we are not. With the backlog of applications for approvals standing right now at about 7 months one would think that there are real valuable devices that could/should have been reviewed prior to wasting the efforts on this one but then who are we to dictate value to society
    Maybe there are lists of people looking forward to the surgery needed to insert and the potential side effects of having such a devise rather then simply pushing back from the dinner table but then what do I know??
    Dr D

7. June 19, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Son of a . . .
    I am torn between being FLABberGASTed and wanting one ASAP. Sir Hakum, I can imagine using the slightly used food to feed urban wildlife. Seagulls will eat anything.

• Beth McNeill
      June 22, 2016 at 10:56 am

Carol,
      HA!! LMAO!! Well stated!!

June 19, 2016 at 11:07 am

1. This is a terrible idea. We love watching the reality show “My 600 LB Life”, which this device threatens. Too much weight loss and the show disappears, and jobs will be lost, which n this time of high unemployment is un-American.

2. The portion of the tube in the stomach will become repeatedly clogged, and the idiot owners will show up to the ER – they will be tough to transfer to their mplanting surgeons, and I’ll get in trouble for laughing at them.

9. drhockey
    June 19, 2016 at 10:23 am

Hahaha!
    I have corrected my calendar to April 1st.

10. Sir Hakum of Hugo
    June 19, 2016 at 9:06 am

Doug, I read this report and remain speechless. That the FDA, which I believe possesses a few shreds of integrity, would actually approve this is stunning.

I did think of Placebo Journal when I read the article. Perhaps they could co-promote with PJ Pharmaceuticals?

I can accept the technologies and the modes of action of Orbera, gastric sleeves, lap-bands, and even appetite suppressants (as long as the candidates are reasonably chosen, are provided diet, exercise and lifestyle counseling, and provided with with long term follow up). These techniques at lest have a shred of hope to change a patient’s lifestyle.

This piece of quackery, it will not.

My only question is if there is a secondary market for the chyme product. Kind of like Nutramigen for big people. Re-purposed like fatback? A cure for third world hunger? Rations for our astronauts going to Mars?