Time to Hammer the the ABMS and MOC!

I was alerted to take some survey about board certification and this is interesting. It came via the AAFP website:

If you’d like to offer your insight on the current state of continuing board certification and how it can best evolve to truly serve the needs of physicians and their patients, here’s your chance. You have until May 11 to take advantage of a survey opportunity(visioninitiative.org) to share your thoughts on the future of continuing board certification.

Here is what it said:

As you may know, a national Commission has been appointed to study current Maintenance of Certification processes and envision the future of continuing certification.

The cynical part of me states that this is a scam and they will get enough “doctors” to say they love the MOC and therefore snuff out the uprising.  Below is a one of the questions I answered.  They are obviously pushing you to keep their money making racket going.

Please go to the above link and HAMMER THESE SONS OF BITCHES!!

Here is the link again.

Take the survey and kill the MOC. Don’t be surprised, though, if somehow this survey goes the ABMS’ way on this.  These are very powerful people.

Don’t forget listen to our new podcast here

7 comments for “Time to Hammer the the ABMS and MOC!

1. Jennifer Hollywood
    April 16, 2018 at 12:39 pm

I did the survey last week as well and totally blasted them. I told them how horrible the previous MOC “educational” products were that I participated in. I told them that they did nothing to improve my practice or knowledge and they were a waste of time, waste of effort, poorly designed, and too costly. I was disappointed that I could only check four boxes for “reasons to NOT do MOC”.
    I told them that after initial certification that there should be no requirements for MOC or exams but simply continued CME by any legitimate source.

• Perry
      April 16, 2018 at 2:12 pm

Yeah, I tried checking multiple boxes for “reasons not to do MOC” and had to go back to only 4. Really??????
      Totally agree with one and done for Board Certification.

April 16, 2018 at 9:58 am

I did the survey last week. Used the words “corrupt”, “insulting”,and “extortion” repeatedly.

3. hawgguy
    April 16, 2018 at 8:44 am

I took the survey a few weeks ago and, upon my own initiative, hammered the bastids. They were invited to contact me for followup but surprisingly did not avail themselves to this opportunity.

4. Martha Oreilly
    April 16, 2018 at 7:54 am

Christine cassel belongs in jail. She is an embarrassment to physicians, especially female physicians. She sold her soul for her fortune long ago and the Obama administration turned a blind eye to her multiple COI then turned her loose on the ACA, inserting requirements for MOC this personally enriching herself even more!

5. April 16, 2018 at 6:48 am

It’s all sound and fury that signifies nothing. They will claim they have polled America’s physicians and they know what we feel and are taking steps to change.

Meet the “change” specified by their pals at the National Committee on Quality Assurance:

It is critically important that your readers understand that MOC is NOT about their continuing education, but about their data that feeds business-savvy Hospital Group Purchase Organizations like CVS Caremark and Premier, Inc. Christine Cassel was on the board at Premier and Kaiser Foundation Health Plans and Hospitals for years while she was also President and CEO of the American Board of Internal Medicine (and the ABIM Foundation). CECity.com is the $400M data analytics/gathering arm of Premier, Inc included in MOC’s HIPAA Business Associate addendum included as part of your contractual agreement when you enroll in MOC.

Also realize that the ABMS’s “self-regulation” claims are pretty much fraudulent, since 27% of their so-called “Vision Commission” are non-physicians.

Rest assured Practicing Physicians of America will be addressing this conflict through other avenues that don’t involve a survey. Still, it will be interesting how their results match up to the one we completed well before theirs was circulated to their conflicted specialty societies.

April 16, 2018 at 6:51 am

Thanks, Wes. Can I talk to you about this on my podcast soon?