It’s Time to Market Ourselves to Protect Patients

I love this. You can learn more about this group here. Finally, someone is sticking up for doctors and it just happens to be other doctors. Where are you ACM, AAFP, AMA, etc.? You let others devalue us by saying that training and education isn’t important. That’s how this happened:

NO ONE says there isn’t a role for all members of the medical community. It is called COLLABORATION. The above is an attack. It is others trying to compete with us and we are seeing it from all sides. Don’t get me wrong, I like competition when the rules are fair, when bogus studies are not used as weapons and when Trojan horses are identified. It’s time we doctors fight for ourselves and fight for our patients.

(Editor’s Note: Comments will be deleted if they are nasty so don’t bother).

8 comments for “It’s Time to Market Ourselves to Protect Patients

1. Mamadoc
    November 17, 2019 at 10:36 am

This is indeed an old line, but no less pernicious. Brains of a doctor my foot. But make no mistake. The nurse practioners are highly politicized, very well organized, very motivated and have the “industry” behind them because they’re a ‘cost saving’ to those who profit (greed being a powerful motivator). I fear they are formidable opponents. It is heartening to see somebody sticking up for the patients who in the end are the ones who’ll get hurt

2. Vance Lassey
    November 14, 2019 at 2:06 pm

I’m going to start flying airplanes–big ones. Jumbo jets. I plan to fly in and out of metropolitan areas landing near residential areas. I have never done it, but I know I’ll be good at it. How do I know? Because 1) I’m smart 2) I have a ton of high-end training–I graduated from medical school for crying out loud- that’s not easy. 3) I have a HEART to do it. I deeply WANT to fly 747s around. 4) There aren’t enough pilots out there, and for crying out loud SOMEBODY has to fly these planes! Also, as a kid I drove a huge dump truck and large tractors on our family farm. I know they go slow compared to jet, but once I drove a Camaro SS well over 120 miles an hour for a full 37 miles to get to a hospital in a hurry when I was on call. I am a highly intelligent, well-trained physician, and no pilot is any smarter than I am. There is no reason for me NOT to start flying passenger aircraft, and anybody who says there is, is heartless, greedy, controlling, paternalistic, evil, and probably racist and sexist.

• Joe Smegma DO
      November 14, 2019 at 9:58 pm

Very funny! Obviously, you are qualified pilot Vance. Godspeed! Gets lots of malpractice insurance. By the way do mid levels have malpractice insurance or does that fall on their physician preceptors? The NTSB will have to investigate this disaster. Competence and expertise gained through years of study and hands on training is truly overrated and passé. Accelerated online courses and degrees that accept all comers will fill the void. Supply and demand. No brainer!!!

• PW
      November 15, 2019 at 9:05 am

Well none of use would qualify as politicians. They have no brains, no heart, no soul and their a—es and their heads are interchangeable.

• arf
      November 27, 2019 at 2:34 am

@Vance Lassey

Go ahead, fly airplanes, just not at 30,000 feet.
      Fly at about 15,000 feet.
      That way, you can be a midlevel.

3. Vijay R. Singh MD
    November 13, 2019 at 11:53 am

Only doctors have doctors’ brain. Nurses have nurses’ brain.

4. Rick
    November 13, 2019 at 8:56 am

I am truly shocked at the nurse ad. Obnoxious deceptive advertising. Man, whoever developed this campaign has real brass ones.

• Bridget Reidy
      November 15, 2019 at 12:33 pm

I heard those lines decades ago.