Why I F%cking Hate CoverMyMeds

This was the email attached to the image above:

We noticed you haven’t used CoverMyMeds electronic prior authorization (ePA) in awhile. Our network of 700,000+ providers and their staff who used CoverMyMeds to help manage their Prior Authorization (PA) volume this year collectively experienced:

• 51+ million PA requests processed1
  • 12 million hours saved1
  • $286 million in provider costs avoided2

Our ePA solution:

• Works for any medication and all plans, including Medicare Part D and Medicaid
  • Produces electronic determinations, often within minutes
  • Is available at no charge to providers and their staff

Submitting requests is easy:

1. Visit covermymeds.com to log in or create an account
  2. Click “New Request,” enter your patient’s information and select the correct form
  3. Complete the required fields and submit to your patient’s plan

Questions? Call us at 1-866-452-5017 or chat live on covermymeds.com

Really?

How about this:

Hey, CoverMyMeds, I f%cking hate your existence! You work for insurance companies in order to rape and pillage patients. You saved providers $286 million? First, I am a doctor and not a provider, so screw you. Second, you ONLY cost me time and effort for bullshit prior authorizations. I have spent valuable minutes of my life getting you to ask the insurance companies to approve generic meds that are cheap already.  Those minutes have added up to hours and hours over the year. For what? To make you money! You did nothing to make me money. I don’t want your money anyway. It’s dirty and gross, like you. I hate you and everything you stand for. I hate the insurance companies that you are glued to like parasites. How dare you brag to me?

Please, please, go f%ck yourselves.

Join 3,552 other subscribers

6 comments for “Why I F%cking Hate CoverMyMeds

1. December 22, 2019 at 10:25 pm

You know what’s particularly awesome about Cover My Meds?

If you use it, you have signed a Business License Agreement (BLA) agreeing to collection use of both your and your patients’ protected information (supposedly “de-identified”).

You want to waste my time, infringe on the privacy of everyone under my care, and generate another layer of passively generated profit used to manipulate physicians and patients?

I have words. They were already said quite nicely by the author.

December 21, 2019 at 11:25 am

Amazing in this health care how instantaneously presumptions are made by outside parties and adopted by patients without question.
    – “I fell at work, and YOU need to fill out my worker’s comp form and arrange follow up”
    – “I got sick before going off on a cruise over the holidays, and I’ll lose my senior discount on the refund if YOU don’t fill out this form for my traveler’s insurance”
    – “I know you told me last month to follow up with my cardiologist, but YOU didn’t call and make my appointment, so I didn’t go, and I’m no better.”
    – “YOU need to fill out my prior authorization for meds, because insurance said, so, and that makes it YOUR responsibility, and you better step on it because this cough isn’t getting any better”

In my mercifully brief stint as an independent family practitioner, I almost immediately set a policy of refusing to do any PA’s for anything, ever. Lost some patients, others got mad at me, one wrote me a furious letter (in which he noted that I had previously “saved his life”). I didn’t care, and don’t now. I’m insulted by the presumption that patients universally believe they can designate their problems as MY problems.

Buying into this doormat-as-virtue attitude has greatly harmed this profession, and ultimately lessened the quality of patient care by enabling them into demanding, entitled attitudes that forget any tendency toward personal initiative and responsibility.

3. Jaclyn Nadler MD
    December 21, 2019 at 10:58 am

Hey Doug, tell them how you really feel ?. And I totally agree. Had to complete 2 PA requests for 5 days of prednisone for someone who couldn’t take NSAIDs and the patient wanted to use his insurance despite me having it in the office for 75 cents. It’s a game and money making scheme.

• Pat
      December 21, 2019 at 11:27 am

Odds are that was a Medicare/Medicaid patient – government patients love to procrastinate and nag for free stuff.

• Jennifer Hollywood
      December 22, 2019 at 8:49 am

You should have refused to do the preauthorization. The patient had no respect for your time at that point.

4. Martha Clark, RN
    December 21, 2019 at 10:38 am

CoverMyMeds has been the bane of my existence. Totally agree with you!

Making $$$ for insurance companies is all it’s good for…

F**k them!

Oh and f**k whoever decided the word ‘provider’ is anything but insulting to actual physicians!

Sorry but my DOCTOR trumps your PROVIDER (Nurse Practitioner) every single time!