90 Day Psychopathology

Has anyone seen this show 90 Day Fiancé? My wife likes it. My daughter likes it. It is like watching a train wreck and everyone onboard has some major psychopathology. One dude is marrying a girl that looks 12 and he is in his mid-fifties with Klippel-Feil syndrome. See the pic. He has no neck. You can’t make this up.

Another dude has paid more than $100K to talk to some chick in the Ukraine over seven years. He finally gets to meet her after hiring a personal investigator and going over there a half dozen times. It is another obvious mismatch. This dude is so mentally messed up that he needs intense therapy. And yet TLC is making a killing on this show.

Another woman, a beastly person with a worse attitude, is marrying a Nigerian rapper. She must be 25 years older than him. Oh, and she is gross. Did I mention that?

How do I know some of this? Because it plays in my house and I sit down for ten minutes and get nauseous. These are all like patients that I have seen before in my 30-year career. They are messed up people who seriously need help. They DO NOT need to be watched, celebrated, or made famous.

And yet the country loves it and TLC is creating a dynasty from it.

We are f&cked as a country.

Get our awesome newsletter by signing up here. We don’t give your email out and we won’t spam you

Join 3,552 other subscribers

11 comments for “90 Day Psychopathology

1. Mamadoc
    May 28, 2020 at 7:33 pm

Minow was right. TV is a vast wasteland.

2. Kurt
    May 28, 2020 at 7:50 am

Got 1Gbit fiber service and got rid of the cable T.V. My spouse passed away in 2019 due to Radon induced lung cancer. Never smoked in her life. She was the only one who watched HG TV, Hallmark channel and local TV. Once she left, I had no need for it. Use the Sling service to watch a few movies I get to choose. No series. I don’t miss cable one iota and have saved a pile of money in the process after adding up the 1Gbit fiber cost and the nominal Sling cost.
    Unfortunately, people like to be voyeurs to the bizzare.

3. Larry Kutner
    May 27, 2020 at 4:48 pm

Andy Warhol was right. “In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes.” These shows combine that attitude with schadenfreude.

These days, I sometimes watch the live jellyfish cam from the Monterey Aquarium. No drama; just undulation. My cat likes it, too.

4. stuart
    May 26, 2020 at 1:30 pm

“My wife likes it. My daughter likes it.”

Honestly, there’s the problem.

• Douglas Farrago MD
      May 27, 2020 at 5:50 am

Oh, I know.

5. PW
    May 26, 2020 at 7:35 am

I prefer British historical dramas myself. But it’s kind of the same theme.

6. bbneo
    May 25, 2020 at 10:17 pm

PT Barnum did it first

7. Martha Clark, RN
    May 25, 2020 at 2:15 pm

I agree with you Dr. Farrago.

Thank God I ‘cut the cord’ a year or two ago.

Now I listen to SiriusXM radio while working in veggie garden, read news online (rarely – I’ve had enough of “COVID-19 coverage”), and follow a few people on YouTube for political commentary (check out Styxhexenhammer!).

I have no idea how people – mostly women – can stomach this garbage!

To me, when you watch TV or movies, you’re spending time with these people/characters.

Who wants to spend time with a fat sex addict or angry insane screaming woman?

May 25, 2020 at 12:35 pm

That’s why I prefer “The Real Housewives of Orange County.” My girlfriend and I have been big fans of RHOC for years, and continue to be inspired by their interreactions, their good sense of taste and manners, their accomplishments, and most of all their piercing intellects. And no, most of you aren’t good enough to even watch them, so stick to your pedestrian knockoffs.

And actually, the greatest reality show has yet to air. By combining two popular, long-running titles, I want to create the greatest of all, involving a desolate wilderness area, dirt and bugs, gritty realism, and a bag of biscuits: “My 600 lb Life: Naked, and Afraid.” We’re talking pay-per-view.

Hollywood, seriously, call me.

9. Rusty Shackleford
    May 25, 2020 at 12:02 pm

“First time?”

No, but seriously. There is simply no way a society can survive this. Degeneracy is supposed to be used sparingly as a spice. We are super-sizing it 6 meals a day.

10. Sir Lance-a-lot
    May 25, 2020 at 11:29 am

“We are f&cked as a country.”

Nostrodouglas speaks again.

And is correct, as always.

I feel bad for our kids.