Every year or so I ask people if they want to write for us. Usually, a few people respond. I rarely say no if they can follow the rules. What are the rules? Well, for one, you just have to write. That’s easy! Nope. I challenge you to try.
The ten writers we have now are awesome. They get paid nothing but they have a platform to say what they want. I don’t censor them. I dare you to find that somewhere else (see KevinMD blog). The key to being a better writer is to just write.
BUT BEFORE YOU DO, REMEMBER:
- You have to write weekly or biweekly: I do NOT want to start hunting you down after a few months and then delete your stuff. Almost EVERYONE who we had to let go was because they stopped writing and I had to keep hounding them.
- You can’t have a sordid past (criminal record, history of malpractice issues, etc)
- You will need to learn SLACK to find articles to blog about as well as upload your stuff
- Pay = $0 (hell, we don’t make any money here).
- Topics are up to you. Seriously. You can write about anything as long as it is related to healthcare in some manner.
- Be daring. Be authentic. Take some chances.
- The length of your blog is up to you. Seriously.
- I hardly ever edit so get your grammar and spelling down though you can tell that I am not great at that either.
- You will have to learn Slack because I upload articles there that you may want to blog about. You also upload your piece there when done.
- You will get your pic and name on our website which gets tons of hits.
- Your bio is shown at the end of every blog you write.
- You cannot, however, submit the same blog to some other site* If you leave there are no hard feelings but the WordPress system only gives the choice to assign your material to someone else or delete it. We only do the latter.
So, do you want to dance with the pros (idiots)? Do you want to be controversial or take a chance with one of the OLDEST medical blogs on the internet? Do you want to find your voice and authentic self and write a small blog once a week or so? Do you just want to get in the habit of consistently writing?
If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot”.**
If you are interested then email me at [email protected] ASAP. We only have room for a few more.
Again, please do NOT offer to write if you have some illegal or sordid past. Also, this is an MD/DO website so you must have those degrees to apply OR be a medical student.
Thanks in advance,