The $11,000 COVID Test

Here is some fun news:

Physicians Premier ER charged Dr. Zachary Sussman’s insurance $10,984 for his COVID-19 antibody test even though Sussman worked for the chain and knows the testing materials only cost about $8. Even more surprising: The insurer paid in full.

Feel free to read the whole article because it will make your blood boil. There is so much more to it.

• The charges for the doctor seeing him as a patient (even though he didn’t examine him).
  • The charges for this urgent care, ER look-a-like center
  • The fact the insurance will pay this bill but fight us tooth and nail on real things.

Feel free to point out some other BS.

I still think we will be blown away with the bill from CV19. There will be business scammers, patient malingers, government gougers and so much more.

7 comments for “The $11,000 COVID Test

1. Mamadoc
    September 12, 2020 at 4:11 pm

Retired here, since 12/2019, but my experience with Golden Rule is that they’re kinda dumb.

2. Kurt
    September 10, 2020 at 4:02 pm

I am so absolutely glad I retired from FP on July 1st at 63.5 years of age. I couldn’t stand office, call and hospital work any longer. Too much stupid documentation and patients aren’t held accountable for anything!! I don’t swear as much now. Woe to the stupidheads going into primary care medicine!

3. Stewart
    September 7, 2020 at 7:44 pm

Enough blame to go around here, but the insurer who paid these claims and then turns around and nickles-and-dimes the honest doctors out of business is far and away the worst of the lot.

4. arthur gindin
    September 6, 2020 at 2:39 pm

I liked the sign!

5. Seneca
    September 6, 2020 at 9:52 am

Many doctors (with the notable exception of our host, Doug) invited these business scumbags to run the financial side of things a couple of decades ago. We can’t be all that surprised when they milk the system they set up for all it’s worth. Eventually, they’ll kill the goose that laid their golden egg.

Certainly there will be plenty of lowlifes who will try to scam the COVID situation in ways we can’t even imagine. As one of our premier sleazebags, Rahm Emanuel famously said, “Never let a good crisis go to waste”.

• Sir Lance-a-lot
      September 6, 2020 at 10:13 am

I believe it was “Never let a crisis go to waste,” but, yes, he is a member of our overpopulated pantheon of sleazebags.

6. Sir Lance-a-lot
    September 6, 2020 at 9:49 am

Ha ha.

My own workplace charged my insurance $100 for an Ab test, the insurance denied it, and my employer has sent me 3 bills for $100 that I have so far refused to pay.

I wonder how common this is.